Thursday, February 22, 2007

sTory of cHicharOn: i Mis my grAndma


Yesterday, February 21, I went outside our house to get our dry clothes. I saw an old women walking under the heat of sun. She was selling chicharon for twelve pesos. I just ignore her because I can’t eat chicharon so I just went inside.

While cleaning our kitchen, I was shock when somebody is calling.
As I hear the voice, my heart beat swiftly and can’t explain why I feel that at that moment of my life.

“Nang! Sali nakang chicharon” she keeps on calling me… and when I went the door…I saw the same old women who sell chicharon. She’s forcing me to buy her chicharon. I told her that I’m not eating chicharon but still she’s convincing me to buy.

“Sali naka para makauli naku. Maranup naku.”

I gave her water so that it may loose her hunger and I told her again “Ali ku pu pweding chicahron”…she doesn’t want to leave…she answered “Sali naka atlu nala mu. Manyaman nala man den gawa la pa king Guagua”. She keeps on convincing me, it seems she’s a street child who is asking for my help.

Seeing this people really gets my sympathy. I really don’t want to buy but I remember my grandmother to her so I decided to buy (even tough I don’t have money…huhuhu).

When she finally gets my twelve pesos, she stand up and told me
“Dakal ah salamat. Ayta ing basu mo. Makauli naku kanini. Pamisali ku ding alwa keta.”

As I watch her leaving our house, I told my self…
“Sana buhay pa si Lola. Namimis ko na siya.”

2 comments:

lawdenmarc said...

"The Dream of Chicharon"


Crunchy skins with roasted lines
To refuse the smell of vinegar,
The old maiden sighs with signs
Of golden sympathy in a jar.

The calendar hangs on the air
Like a false epistle of memories.
I saw her selling silence there
With a heart of a loved one in peace.

Romanticizing the mentholated moon
And the moonlight's say; " I miss her tune."
Oh that? I remember I must move on
Like the crispness dream of Chicharon.

joanspring said...

Hey almex'
i so can relate to your article.i practically grew up with my grandparents, that is why i am sensitive when it comes to that topic.my grandpaents took care of me when i was a kid, they loved and took care of me as their own daughter, and i will carry that wonderful experience with me all though my life. the feeling of guilt or pity, i experience that all the time. its like i want to do something whenever i see an old person out in the open woking, instead of just resting and enjoying the rest of his/her life.
and since i really cant do anything sometimes i also buy their items especially if its quite late already.
well bottomline is, this old people deserve our love and concern for them,lets not be so insensitive, we will not be existing in this world if without them as well, so lets not forget to thank our lolo's and lola's all the time.Cheers to life!